One of the most valuable things that parents and families can do to help a student with career planning is to listen, be open to ideas, help your student locate information, and be nonjudgmental. This page is dedicated to helping parents and families assist their student in navigating the career planning and development process.
Here are ways you can help:
- Understand that uncertainty in choosing a major or career is common.
- Support the exploration of new areas of study or interests.
- Understand the value of a liberal education.
- Encourage your student to visit the Office of Career and Professional Development on a regular basis. Students should start using the office’s resources as freshmen.
- Emphasize the importance of experience.
- Do not contact employers on behalf of your student.
- Allow your student to make the decision.