Lehighvalleylive.com is looking for an experienced journalist to report Lehigh Valley’s three cities – Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton – and surrounding communities.
We are seeking a candidate who has a keen interest in covering historically underserved communities, thrives in collaborating with others on issue-oriented journalism and is comfortable reporting on everything from budgets to breaking news. The job also requires an ability to write in a compelling style that explains how complicated issues have a direct impact on Lehigh Valley residents. We intend for the lead reporter to not only shape their own coverage but also to serve as an advisor for up to three additional reporters with an interest in elevating their journalism.
As part of a team of reporters based out of Easton, the ideal candidate will understand the critical role of local journalism and the challenges local journalists face. Versatility, including an ability to at times edit stories on deadline and direct daily newsroom coverage, is essential.
We’re committed to building a newsroom that reflects the diversity of the community we serve. In this position, you will be part of the NJ Advance Media newsroom, a dynamic and inclusive team focused on local journalism for one of the country’s largest privately owned media companies.
For this position, we are looking for a candidate with:
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications or related field required
- A minimum of five years in journalism with a proven ability in reporting and writing required, preferably including some experience in producing major projects and editing.
- A desire to develop editing skills, mentor less-experienced journalists and play a role in creating a long-term content strategy.
- An ability to cultivate sources in government and business, but more importantly in communities that aren’t accustomed to media attention.
- Possession of a clear and engaging writing style
- A proven record of breaking news
- An ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- A sound understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics, and story structure
- Experience using social media to find stories and promote content
- A demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- A proven experience building, maintaining, and engaging an active audience
- An understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
- An ability to work collaboratively with editors and fellow reporters
- A willingness to keep abreast of industry advances and proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences
Lehighvalleylive.com was born in 2006 as part of an ongoing effort to pivot The Express-Times newsroom from a traditional print operation to a digital one. The newspaper, based in Easton, Pennsylvania, was founded in 1855 and continues publishing daily. It remains affiliated with lehighvalleylive.com. Both are part of NJ Advance Media. The Lehigh Valley is now the third-most populous region in Pennsylvania. Its proximity to New York City and Philadelphia has made it a commerce hub and has also attracted many commuters. It’s also home to one of the state’s largest and fastest-growing Latino communities. These trends have made for an intriguing landscape that’s rich in compelling stories.