MSHS Summer Student Nurse Internship.
Locations: MSH, MSM, MSW, MSBI, MSB, MSQ
Duration: June 3 – August 10
A nursing student, who has completed the first clinical year, inclusive of medical surgical nursing, within a baccalaureate nursing program and has a fundamental knowledge of the art and science of nursing, can function in this role. This experience assists the student nurse in expanding previously learned theory and skills through supervised patient care within a work setting.
- Performs and records patients vital signs, such as blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respirations, pulse oximetry and pain rating.
- Documents clinical data as assigned, in a computer or manual system.
- Performs clinical procedures, such as specimen collection, venipuncture, EKG, application of sequential compression sleeves, post-mortem care, falls prevention, maintenance of skin integrity and capillary blood glucose monitoring.
- Sets up for selected procedures and assists RNs accordingly.
- Assists patient with activities of daily living, such as feeding, bathing, and/or toileting.
- Orients patients to Specialty Service/Unit environment. Assists patient with ambulation and all levels of mobilization.
- Assists with dietary functions, including delivering and collecting patient trays at bedside, passing menus to patients and assisting them with menu completion, mixing nutritional supplements, reporting variation in eating patterns to RN/Dietitian,
- Maintains accurate and timely systems for transmission of patient dietary orders and changes.
- Assists in pre- and post-operative procedures, such as patient transport, completion of pre-op checklist and reception of patient from PACU/OR.
- Utilizes measures to ensure patient safety and promotes a restraint free environment.
- Maintains use of restraints for patients under the direction of a RN and according to set policies and procedures.
- Assists in emergency resuscitative procedures as directed by the registered professional nurse.
- Provides care on the deceased as well as the involved family/significant other.
- Performs pertinent observations/specific treatments of procedures, as assigned.
- Documents patient care delivered on appropriate flow sheets.
- Assists the professional registered nurse in the collaborative plan for patient education participating in patient/teaching activities.
- Maintains a safe, clean and functional environment, including ensuring for the comfortable movement of the patient. Assists the patient in room maintenance, such as bed-stripping and trash removed, when necessary.
- Performs One-to-One/Constant Observation and Safety Observations of patients as ordered, e.g., for safety, elopement, or suicide prevention.
- Performs correct infection control techniques and maintains isolation status for patients under direction of a RN and according to set procedures.
- Operates the pneumatic tube system when required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma / Associates Degree.
- Completion of the first clinical year in an accredited baccalaureate program in Nursing, with experience in a medical-surgical rotation.
- Grade point average of 3.5 or above.
- Satisfactory nursing faculty recommendations.
- Other health-related work experience, if available.
- BLS from the AHA.