What is it like to Intern in Technology at Optum?
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet – technology and health care – with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get: Leading-edge solutions that improve the lives of millions. At Optum, our approach to technology isn’t about designing another app to fix health care. It’s about connecting patients and members to their care teams, payers to providers, and ultimately connecting a disconnected health system so that it works better for the people it was created to serve.
Our global technology team consists of more than 30,000 innovators from around the world passionate about using technology to improve the lives of people and communities. We are modernizing the health care system through modern analytics, comprehensive clinical expertise, innovative technologies and extensive experience in improving operational and clinical performance.
As an intern on our Optum Technology team, you will be provided opportunities to channel your curiosity into initiative, working alongside distinguished engineers and developers pursuing innovations that improve the health care experience for everyone. We encourage you to dive in, explore and ask questions about creative ways to use technology to help make the health care system work like an actual system.
Throughout your 10-week internship in the Technology Development Program (TDP), you’ll gain invaluable experience and learn from leading innovators as a member of one or more of our many technology teams engaged in life-changing work. TDP offers internships in a variety of domains, as well as a development curriculum, mentoring from technology leaders, networking and collaboration opportunities.
The intent of our internship program is to provide return internship opportunities or full-time employment at Optum, depending on eligibility.
Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services company serving more than 127 million consumers, delivering the right care when and how it’s needed. We are dedicated to evolving health care so everyone can have the opportunity to live their healthiest life.
Key Information Regarding the Internship Program:
- The following are tracks where candidates may be placed. Please note that track placement is dependent on business need and market/location availability. While we will take your track preference under consideration, it is not guaranteed:
- Software Engineering
- Data Engineering
- Infrastructure & Operations Engineering
- Product Management
- Security Operations & Engineering
- This full-time intern position will be available for the summer, starting June 6, 2023
- Housing assistance may be available
- Sponsorship is not available for this position
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for potential future roles.
- Currently pursuing a 2-year technical college degree, Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Data Science, Mathematics, or other Engineering degree, IT, MIS, other technology related fields i.e., Statistics, Actuary, Cyber-security, etc., or Physics, Health Informatics, Business, Public Relations, or Marketing
- Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college/university, or 2-year technical college during the duration of the internship. Internships are not intended for graduating seniors
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization. F-1 visa holders with Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) who will require visa sponsorship, TN visa holders, current H-1B visa holders, and/or those requiring green card sponsorship will not be considered
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Proficient in core programming concepts and at least one programming language (Example: Python, Java, C, SQL, .NET)
- Involvement in any additional technical activities (Robotics, Comp. Science/Tech clubs, Tech or Engineering side projects, GitHub, etc.) and/or tech related employment experience
The TDP Intern will work with their manager to determine the best work arrangement for their situation (in office or hybrid) though they will need to be within a commutable distance to one of our 10 core locations to bring back the collaborative and community aspects of the program. The following are locations where this role will be available, and please note that housing may be available:
- Austin, TX
- Basking Ridge, NJ
- Boston, MA
- Cypress, CA
- Eden Prairie, MN
- Hartford, CT
- Irvine, CA
- Phoenix, AZ
- Raleigh, NC
- Schaumburg, IL