Join our welcoming community, and spend the summer experiencing a variety outdoor pursuits and exploring beautiful New England!
You’ll find yourself leading bike trips on Martha’s Vineyard, surfing on the Cape Cod National Seashore, kayaking our pristine salt marshes, and rock climbing at Acadia’s Otter Cliffs. Our trips also include more laid-back experiences, such as taking in drive-in movie, cooking dinner on the beach, and embarking on whale watching tours. A summer at Adventure Trips allows you to experience the whole range of adventure and exploration, with all the benefits of a tight-knit community.
All our Adventure Trips are co-led, and each group consists of 12 teenagers. Our Trip Leaders teach outdoor and trip-specific skills to campers. However, all necessary skills are taught during staff training and no specific skills are required prior to employment. Outside professionals facilitate some activities, including surfing, SCUBA, and rock climbing.
We provide a fun and supportive atmosphere for our campers to try new activities and forge lasting friendships. We strive to instill a love of the outdoors in our participants, while fostering leadership skills, encouraging effective communication, and living in a communal environment. For many of our campers, Adventure Trips is an opportunity to disconnect from technology and
social pressures, and find a place where they feel truly like themselves.
TRIP LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Co-lead groups of 12 campers on one or two-week co-ed excursions around Cape Cod, the Islands, and beyond. Lead the range of different trips that we offer throughout the summer.
- Ensure safety of participants at all times
- Be a good role model for fellow staff members and campers, and embody the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility
- Facilitate meal planning and preparation, with the support of your co-leader and campers
- Foster a positive & welcoming group dynamic
- Effectively teach outdoor and trip-specific skills to campers. All necessary skills are taught during staff training; no specific skills required prior to employment. Outside professionals facilitate some activities, including surfing, SCUBA, and rock climbing.
- Drive 10-passenger vans, 15 passenger vans, and tow trailers with vehicles- following vehicle and trailer training during first two weeks of employment
- Keep trip logistics, camper paperwork, and receipts organized
- Manage and care for equipment
- Trip activities include: surfing, biking, SCUBA, camping, kayaking, swimming, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, hiking, outdoor cooking, exploring local towns & shops, and the ability to choose additional based on the preferences of you and your group.
- Excited to work with teens in the outdoors. Experience working with youth in any capacity is preferred.
- 21+ years old with a clean driving record
- Current Lifeguard certification or willingness to obtain
- Safety-conscious, energetic, flexible, responsible, patient, fun and compassionate
- Previous outdoor experience, personal or professional. Experience in some of our specific program areas is a plus: biking, paddling, camping, etc.
AVAILABILITY: June 12 – August 20, 2022
Opportunities for fall employment in Outdoor Education are available
COMPENSATION: $425/week · Trip Leaders receive two weeks of paid training, staff lodging in a large platform tent or yurt, all meals while working, and free access to laundry machines and internet. This position provides a great opportunity to develop leadership skills both personally and professionally and in a wide range of outdoor pursuits. You will be working as part of a supportive, experienced, and fun-loving community – all while enjoying the beauty of summer on Cape Cod!
TO APPLY: Email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org